"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Friday, August 22, 2008

Glasgow - City Of Culture

"I could cope,
I could cope with all
the stupidity, the cruelty,
the ugly things that
happen - it it wasn't
for the fact that
once in a while you'll
do something that's so
beautiful that it gives
me hope for us all,
for a moment..."


Anonymous street poem, found in the West End of Glasgow.

Is this new at Nice'n'Sleazy or had I just missed it?

Aaaah, the Glasgae banter...

King Robert of Sicily
about 1927

George Henry Paulin (1888-1962)
Marble

The tale of King Robert comes from a poem by H.W.Longfellow (1807-1882). He was an arrogant king who was deposed by an angel, stripped of his robes, and forced to asume the role of a jester, with only a monkey for a friend.

(From the Kibble Palace)


Something for all the family...


Glasgow is a post-industrial city. Its murder, unemployment and heart-disease rates are amongst the highest in the Western World. It is not in Kentucky.

If you'd like to know more, check out its comedians. Try Sandy Nelson and Limmy.

I recently moved back after ten years away. It's nice to be back.

I took these pictures with a Nokia N95 during August 2008.

I hope you enjoy them.

PTET

No comments: