"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dark Knight - A World Without Rules

A couple of days back, I went to see The Dark Knight, at the Imax in Glasgow.

I wanted to blog about its themes of vigilantism, criminality and personal responsibility; and its exploration of the corruption of power, the need for heroes, and moral ambiguity...

But all I can think about is my friend leaving his empty sweet wrapper on the floor as went to leave the theatre.

Maybe he'd been dazzled by the gargantuan screen, the foudroyant special effects, the ear-jarring digital stereo?

I picked up the wrapper and gave it to him.

He dropped it again. "They clean up the place", he said. "I paid eight quid", he said.

I picked the wrapper up again, and put it in the bin on the way out.

PTET

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on. Leaving your rubbish behind in the cinema is one of the joys. They hire people specifically to clean them up.

You could drive them out of jobs! Your vigilante cleaning is causing unemployment!

NotZed said...

It isn't a joy - it is plain rude and shows contempt for your fellow man, and a lack of respect for other people's property.

People seem to be so selfish these days - and what's more, seem proud of it. Has being a 'decent person' suddenly become unfashionable?

ptet said...

"They hire people specifically to clean them up."

They hire people to wipe your backside for you too if you're incapable of doing that yourself.

Spills are one thing... But deliberately leaving rubbish shows a lack of regard for others. Deliberately dropping rubbish that I had picked up is just cold.