"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Back for the Fall Term...

Hello world... I'm back. I went on holiday for two weeks - but I guess that wasn't enough of a break from religious craziness and anti-logic. So, I worked on some other projects, took a break from blogging here, and tried to make the most of the summer. But hey, I guess I just missed the old place... so here I am.


The progressive conservative (gay, British, inclusive and worth reading) blogger Andrew Sullivan recently noted:

The Catholic bishops of England tell American fundamentalists the bleeding obvious: not Everything in the Bible is literally true. Money quote: "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision." Of course. Anyone who believes that the world was literally created in six days a few thousand years ago is not expressing his or her "religious beliefs". Believing something that is demonstrably and empirically untrue is not religion. It is simply superstition or lunacy. It has nothing to do with faith in things we cannot know. The notion that it should actually be taught in public schools as science is beneath even debating.
And yet recent Gallup Polls say that 54% of USicans believe that Creationism should be taught in public science classes - even though 55% "also said evolution was definitely or probably true"...

So who's to blame? The media for failing to stand up to pseudoscience & anti-intellectualism? Or the politicians and churchmen who make capital out of both? What do you think?

No comments: